Scholarships Awarded to Shiv Nadar University Students
Shiv Nadar University Chennai recently awarded scholarships to support meritorious students overcome financial constraints. Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan, former Vice Chairman and ex-CEO of Cognizant and former Chairman NASSCOM and ICT Academy graced the occasion as the chief guest. The other dignitaries present included Mr. Srinivasan, Chairman of SSN Institutions and Chancellor of Shiv Nadar University Chennai, Dr. Kala Vijayakumar, President of SSN Institutions and Pro Chancellor of Shiv Nadar University Chennai, Dr. Sriman Kumar Bhattacharyya, Vice-Chancellor of Shiv Nadar University Chennai, Dr. V. E. Annamalai, Principal of SSN College of Engineering and eminent alumni of SSN Institutions.
Mr. Lakshmi Narayanan, former Vice Chairman and ex-CEO of Cognizant and Former Chairman of NASSCOM and ICT Academy said, “We are on the cusp of innovation, and access to quality education will help our youth embrace this transition. I would like to congratulate all the scholarship recipients as I can foresee them leading India’s next phase of growth. Through these scholarships, we can engage the meritorious students further in learning as this financial support will allow them to dream without the constraints of financial burdens that are holding them back.”
Elaborating on the genesis of the scholarship scheme, Dr. Kala Vijayakumar, President of SSN Institutions and Pro-Chancellor of Shiv Nadar University Chennai shared, “I am proud to say that SSN is Mr. Shiv Nadar’s first initiative in the field of education and today, this Institution stands tall being in the forefront of education in India and has gained a formidable reputation among students, parents, and industry. We now also have Shiv Nadar University Chennai, the first state private university to be legislated in Tamil Nadu after 90 years. The institutions are set up with a vision of bringing world-class education to deserving students regardless of their economic status. Keeping the vision in mind, the scholarship scheme recognizes merit in various spheres and also extends a hand of financial support to those who are in need. This effort has been strengthened by the corporates who have contributed to the corpus and the continuous support from our dear Alumni.”
The scholarships awarded are a part of the universities’ philanthropic endeavour to identify and nurture young talent in academics and sports while also making sure that no deserving student is denied an education due to financial restrictions.
The Scholarship Scheme offers scholarships across various categories, to all eligible students of the Engineering and MBA programs, which include:
· Merit-based Scholarship- Awarded to the top 2 to 3 rank holders of every department based on their academic performance and can cover up to 100% of their tuition fees.
· Merit cum Means Scholarship – Awarded to meritorious students from lower economic strata satisfying academic criteria
· Waiver of Tuition Fees- Awarded to the first-year students of the institute who secure the highest marks in their 10+2 examinations. Through this scholarship, the students can avail 100% tuition fee waiver for the first academic year. Similarly, senior students can also benefit from this basis their previous year’s performance.
· Walk-in-Walk-out Scholarships- Awarded to the Top 10 Rank holders of any State or Central Board Examination at the 10+2 or any equivalent level who are keen to pursue B.E. or B.Tech. degree. The students can avail 100% tuition fee waiver.
· Scholarship to Toppers of Rural Government Higher Secondary Schools – acronymed as SPURS – Scholarship for Potential Undergraduate Rural Students this special scholarship scheme is for 25 Government School Toppers from rural areas who are keen to pursue a B.E. or B.Tech degree at SSN College of Engineering. Such students are awarded a scholarship to study completely free of cost including boarding for their entire duration of the study.
· Post Graduate Scholarships- Awarded to students who want to study an M.E. or M. Tech. program in Engineering from SSN. The students are selected basis their University rank or GATE score of 90+ percentile.
· Sports Scholarships- This is for students who have an outstanding record in sports. Students who have represented the State at National level competitions conducted by accredited Sports Boards are also eligible for the same.
· Alumni Scholarship- This is awarded by the SSN Alumni Association basis an interview and academic performance. This is only available to over 30 students every year. This year, over 100 alumni have contributed to this scheme.
· Special Scholarships- This is awarded to students who have an outstanding record in Indian classical music.
About Shiv Nadar University Chennai Shiv Nadar University Chennai (https://www.snuchennai.edu.in/) is a research-focused University offering wide-range of specialized academic programs at the undergraduate level. The University has been set up by the Shiv Nadar Foundation, a philanthropic foundation established by Mr. Shiv Nadar, Founder, HCL – a US$12.1 billion leading global technology enterprise. The University endeavors to become a pioneering institution of higher education, setting new global academic benchmarks and revolutionizing the education landscape in the country.
The University campus features state-of-the-art infrastructure for learning, including seminar halls, auditoria, libraries, gymnasium, a sports complex and hostels for men and women. The campus is entirely wi-fi enabled with 24/7 internet access.
Shiv Nadar University Chennai offers a holistic educational environment that is continually evolving to bridge the gap between the classroom and global demands by world-class faculty who are progressive academicians, leading thinkers and innovative educators from ranked global universities. The University commenced its journey towards becoming a globally acclaimed centre for learning and innovation in 2018 and offers innovative undergraduate programs in the fields of engineering and commerce and has now also introduced doctoral programs across various disciplines.
About Shiv Nadar Foundation
Established in 1994, by Shiv Nadar, Founder, HCL – a US$12.1 billion leading global technology enterprise, the Foundation is committed to the creation of a more equitable, merit-based society by empowering individuals through transformational education, and to bridge the socio-economic divide. Over the last 27 years the Foundation, has directly touched the lives of over 30,000 alumni and students through its marquee institutions in literacy, K12 and higher education. Today, the Foundation has a
community of over 100,000 constituents, which includes not only globally dispersed alumni and students but also faculty members, corporate executives, and extended families.
The Foundation has invested over US$1billion in its seven landmark institutions and initiatives across education and art. Currently over 13,000 students and over 2,000 faculty are part of the Foundation along with around 21,000 strong globally dispersed alumni community.
The Foundation’s students have gone to study at some of the best institutions globally including the Ivy League in the US and top universities in other countries including Australia, Singapore, China and UK. Students are also working in major corporations, including Goldman Sachs, Honda, HP, Schindler, and several others both in India and across other geographies. Faculty across the Foundation institutions are drawn from the best Indian and international universities, with a strong focus on research and innovation.
The Shiv Nadar Foundation pursues the philosophy of ‘Creative Philanthropy’. It is a powerful model which envisages creation of institutions that are built to last and continue to impact future generations. It is an approach that allows sustained institutionalized philanthropy for long-term, high impact, socio-economic transformation.