Ms. Tanaya Thakur
Assistant Professor of Law
Tanaya is pursuing PhD in International Criminal Law at the South Asian University, New Delhi. She has cleared the UGC NET examination and holds Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). Her specialist areas of research interest include Public International Law, International Economic Laws, and International Criminal Law. She is also interested in the study of law at the intersection of digitalization, gender, and popular culture. She completed her LLM in International Law from South Asian University in 2019 with distinction in all courses and wrote her dissertation on reforming the investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) mechanism in light of host state’s right to regulate. She has experience of working as research assistant on research and book projects. She has also contributed opinion pieces to various legal blogs in India on issues of international law as well as domestic law and governance measures.
· PhD (Pursuing) – South Asian University, New Delhi [Thesis topic: ‘Evolving State Responsibility Framework on Crimes against Humanity: A Critical Assessment’]
· LLM: South Asian University, New Delhi (Specialization in International Law), 2019 [Dissertation in International Investment Law on the topic ‘Reforming the Investor-State Dispute Settlement Mechanism and the Host State’s Right to Regulate: A Critical Assessment’] (Full Scholarship)
· BA.LLB (Hons): Chanakya National Law School, Patna, 2017
ACADEMIC HONOURS/ SCHOLARSHIPS
· Qualified UGC-NET examination and selected for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in 2019.
· Recipient of President’s Scholarship at South Asian University, New Delhi – 2018-19
· Recipient of Merit Scholarship at South Asian University, New Delhi – 2017-18.
· Awarded annual scholarship from Bar Council of India in 2016.
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE/ SEMINAR/ PUBLICATION
· Reforming the Investor-State Dispute Settlement Mechanism and the Host State’s Right to Regulate: A Critical Assessment, (2021) 59 Indian Journal of International Law (Springer) 173-208
· Tanaya Thakur and Amit Kumar, ‘Othering’ the others through Artificial Intelligence Technology: Need for a Regulatory Framework, Digitalization and Law- Regulations, Implications, and Challenges (Thomson Reuters, forthcoming)
Op-Eds in newspapers/ other popular media
· ‘How Intelligent is Artificial Intelligence: Exploring the exclusion of minority’, Countercurrents, published on 22nd February 2021
· ‘Legal Education under NEP 2020: Big Promises with Little Substance’, Countercurrents, published on 1st August 2020 available at (Translated in Malayalam by Dr. B. Ekbal, in edited book on New Education Policy, DC Books)
· ‘Taking Away Labour Rights One at a Time: How the Covid Crisis is Manifesting into a Nightmare for India’s Poorest’, Countercurrents, published on 10th May 2020
· ‘Uttar Pradesh Recovery of Damages to Public and Private Property Ordinance: A Draconian law in a Dystopian Regime’, Bar&Bench, published on 31st March 2020
· ‘Environment As Living Entity- Need For Further Clarity In The Rights Framework’ LiveLaw, published on 17th March 2020
· ‘United Nations Security Council’s failure to redress the Rohingya refugee crisis’, ModernDiplomacy published on 10th March 2020 available at (co-authored with Amit Kumar) (Re-published by Ceylon Today)
· ‘OHCHR’s intervention in Citizenship Amendment Act: An opportunity to expand the Indian human rights discourse’, ModernDiplomacy published on 6th March 2020 available at (co-authored with Amit Kumar)
· ‘Delay in Execution of Death Penalty: Need for a Balance’, Bar&Bench, published on 7th February 2020 available at (co-authored with Amit Kumar)
· ‘Citizenship Bill and Human Rights: What Judiciary Needs to Rethink’, TheQuint, published on 10th December 2019 available at (co-authored with Amit Kumar)
· ‘Laws For Women: How Empowering Are Triple Talaq& Other Bills?’, TheQuint, published on 31st July 2019
· ‘Two Be Or Not Two Be: Section 33(7) Of Representation Of Peoples Act 1951’, LiveLaw, published on 9th April 2019
· Research Assistant to Dr. Prabhash Ranjan in research project on the Indian Supreme Court and International Law, sponsored by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
· Research Assistant to Dr. Prabhash Ranjan for paper titled ‘Issuance of Compulsory Patent Licenses and Expropriation in Asian BITs and FTA Investment Chapters: A Study of India, China, Malaysia and Thailand’ contributed to Kung-Chung Liu, Julien Chaisse (Eds), The Future of Asian Trade Deals and IP (Hart Publishing 2019)
· Research Assistance to Dr. Prabhash Ranjan for book India and Bilateral Investment Treaties: Refusal, Acceptance and Backlash, Oxford University Press: 2019
· Research Assistant to Dr. Stellina Jolly and Dr. Nafees Ahmad, Faculty at SAU for book titled ‘Climate Refugees in South Asia’ published by Springer Publication in 2019.
· Faculty Development Programme on International Law for Early Career Academics, organized by Jindal Global Law School, O.P. Jindal University on 25-26 th June 2022.
· Junior Research Fellow and Teaching Assistant at Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, IIT Kharagpur under Prof. Indrajit Dube (2019-2020)
OTHER ACADEMIC/ CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
· Runners Up and recipient of Best Female Advocate and Best Written Submission Awards at the 31st Bar Council of India Moot Court Competition, 2016.